Toxic Plants for Pets

Making your home safe for your pets

There's nothing quite like having a fresh bouquet of flowers or a newly-gifted plant to brighten up your home, but for the pet-owners among us, it's important to know which botanical decorations to steer clear of. We've compiled a list of some common plants and flowers to steer clear of to keep your home safe for your furry friend (there are more than you might think!).

Mildly toxic


Toxic to dogs and cats

While these festive classics do not pose a severe risk to the animals in your life, they do contain a sap which can cause issues for them. The milky white sap found in poinsettias and, if ingested in large quantities, can cause vomiting, diarrhea and drooling. The sap can also irritate the skin. As the levels of toxicity are fairly low, it is safe to have in your house (with caution, and preferably out of reach of your pets).

Pine trees

Toxic to cats

Oils in pine trees can be harmful to cats and may lead to liver damage. So if you're bringing home a live tree at Christmas, opt for spruce or fir! But take caution with any trees with needles, as they can cause oral irritation and in extreme cases, gastrointestinal issues.

Moderatey toxic


Toxic to dogs and cats

Azaleas (or rhododendrons) contain grayanotoxin, a toxin which can cause symptoms ranging from decreased appetite and weakness, to vomiting and diarrhea. Even consuming just a few of the leaves can cause stomach issues, so best to keep it out of the house and away from your pets!


Toxic to dogs and cats

These colourful favourites, also known as 'mums' can cause several serious issues in your dogs and cats due to the natural insecticide known as pyrethoids found within them. Symptoms of chrysanthemum poisonig include coughing, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea agitation and shaking.


Toxic to dogs and cats

These plants contain the chemical lycorine which can cause stomach issues such as vomiting and diarrhea if ingested. Gastrointestinal distress, lethargy, and tremors are among the most common symptoms in dogs and cats who have been exposed to large amounts of this plant.

Extremely toxic


Toxic to dogs and especially cats

This flower may be beautiful but it’s one of the most toxic for pets - especially our feline friends. Everything from the stem to the flowers and pollen is poisonous - ingesting even a small amount of the flower or its water can cause serious issues (kidney failure, arrhythmia) and should be avoided. Look for the early symptoms of lily toxicity - decreased activity, loss of appetite, increased urination and dehydration.


Toxic to dogs and especially cats

The phoratoxins and lectins in mistletoe can cause severe reactions in cats, including heart problems, breathing problems, seizures and even death. Watch for stomach upsets, difficulty breathing and odd behaviour as signs that your pet may have been exposed to the toxins in mistletoe.

Other toxic plants to look out for include:

  • Cyclamen
  • Branching Ivy
  • Holly
  • Daffodils
  • Tulips
  • Oleander
  • Kalanchoe

But remember - you can always opt for some long-lasting artificial versions of the classics without any risk of harm to your pets!

And most importantly, if you’re ever worried that your pet may have ingested something toxic, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Older post Newer post